Tuesday 11 October 2011

Back to Photography

Ok, I was writing this post and it erased itself. Hate it when it does that. Plus, the internet is crap, I experiencing big problems with it lately. 

Well, I'm gonna write something short and sweet I guess. I'm too frustrated to rewrite the entire post again! 

I wanted to make some statements about photography, about where I am now with it. 

First, I am now co-heading the Photography Club at Bishop's. This is great news, it seems like my ideas are very useful. 
I also will be photographer for The Campus, the university newspaper. If they received my pictures on time, I should be published in their next edition. This isn't a big achievement but I'm happy. 

Its good because lately my self-confidence as gotten very low. Trying to make my way in Sept-Iles was hard. Not because I couldn't get any clients or because people would not see me, but because the way people think. It makes it hard for us to break through. People are attracted by cheap prices not talent. That means, while you think you have enough talent to get into photography, some wannabes, with no technical knowledge can take your job because their ''prices'' are very low. Most people can't see any difference between a bad picture and a good one. Its even harder for them to see a difference between a good one and a bad one. Im not blaming them for that. Im blaming the ones who use that for their own profit, while they know they shouldn't do that. It brings the whole photography world down. Some good photographers don't make themselves any publicity. They hope they will be seen with talent (in a small town it should work) but the reality is that it doesn't work. People will see talent, but will claim their prices are too high while their friend can do it for 25$. (yes, 25$...) 

I did not make myself any publicity. I had clients because some people talked about me, which I really am grateful for. I didn't make myself publicity because I know I can be better than that. I know I still need to improve. I am not where I want to be yet. So how can I sell myself? I see some people selling themselves as the best photographers you could find, but are missing so much technical skills. Photography isn't only technical, but to consider yourself as a pro, you must master both the overall feeling (message, emotion) and the technique. Actually some people are selling themselves even though some of these aspects are missing, and make real good profits. People venerate them as if they were the best, because they sell themselves this way. Then, what about the ones that are really good but aren't making any statement about their work, about their talent? People don't care about them, they are forgotten. It is so even though most of these are way much better than the ones who claims they are pros when they aren't. I know many photographers around me who are just as good as they are and even more, way much more. As me, they feel a little depressed about that situation.  

So well, now that I got back to study (after 4 long years!) its time for me to do what I want to. This year, i'm not taking any contracts, I am doing only things that I really want to do. 
I may turn to conceptual photography this year. My last 3 weeks has brought me new ideas. A lot of things as been going on in my mind and photography is gonna be a way to release all these thoughts. 
I'll try to do as much as I can. In december, I will travel to France to visit my boyfriend so most of the pictures I want to do are gonna be done there. Its always helpful to have someone with me. 

Here I post some examples of conceptual pictures I did before...

This one was a test. Levitation shots are very common. See MissAniela or Rosie Hardy's work. These are really fun to make. I would like to take that idea a little bit further, even though I don't want to push it too much. Its been done a lot before. 


This one is from my mind. I wanted to express one idea. I'm laying down on Slovakia for a good reason. It is where my boyfriend is from and going through a distance relationship isn't always easy. This picture needs more improvements to be done though. I will work on it as soon as I can. 


This one is a test with studio lighting. I love the feeling of movement in a picture. Here, no photoshop was used to create the ghostly effect. It was done directly in studio, on the camera. I did beauty retouching I admit though! Testing always brings interesting results. I want to do more of that syle of shoots. 


Last one! The idea is taken out from the movie What Dreams May Come. The images portrayed in that movies are just so surreal and beautiful. This specific image takes its inspiration from the main character's walk to hell. Women were trying to scream but their mouth was inexistent. That image haunted me... 

So well, more work to come later. I hope I will have time to do every projects I have in mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment